Sunday, April 6, 2008

Mon Dieu !!!

To be honest, I've lost count of the number of times I opened this very web page to start blogging, but each and every time one tiny insignificant thing stops me : I can't decide on what to write! Not that i have the best of topics in my head right now, but I've decide to start nonetheless. I have to warn you though o reader, most if not all of my entries represent MY views and I do not intend to preach anything to anyone. Also, people are not gonna jump in joy about the stuff that's going to follow,but again, I couldn't care less. However, criticism (after a great deal of thought) is more than welcome.
Here goes...!

In case you were wondering what the title means, it reads "My God !!!?"... And presently I am wondering what has that to do with the lines that are about to follow. Just like everyone, the author too has some ,albeit rather interesting, views on the fabulous concept called God. True, as a child, I believed (read it as "made to believe") that a God exists..but as the years passed, that belief was reduced to absolute nothing. Was it something that happened that made me lose trust? Or was it because I think its fashionable to call oneself an atheist these days? Neither. At some point of time a few years ago, I began to think. " Who/What is God?". More importantly, I ask myself the question " Why do I need a God?"
I say to myself " The very fact that different people around the world have different Gods obviously means that He (if He exists) doesn't take any form that we imagine.
Now, let me make it clear, I do not say that the 'concept' of God is useless. Oh no..It's quite the opposite. He has served His purpose, in whatever ridiculous form He's been given; If I go around the world saying that a God doesn't exist to either help you or do whatever he's supposed to do, the world would be such a chaotic place. Rather, all i say is, once the objective of introducing someone fantastic being who could think of nothing but create a Universe, put some "Life" on a planet..blah.. blah.. blah.., is understood
, the madness should be shelved.
My whole problem is because of the side effects of God : Religion and Brainlessness to an extent.
Again, religion helped a lot in ruling people and stuff, but the extremities that they had to go to make sure people believed in religion is absurd.
Now, many many people use God as a source of confidence in the things they do. That's fine. Great actually.
And many many many people think God actually exists caring about us, watching our backs, ever ready to forgive and all that crap. My question is... If God actually existed, why does he bother to care about one of the many animals on Earth - man??? So jobless?
The belief in God and more importanly, religion,often reaches unacceptable (by me) in a lot of cases: Some cases -
One of my friends recently asks me to take my leg off a book, saying I shouldn't be doing that. Hold on a second.. so, whats so wrong about it?? My leg's just another body part. I don't see anything wrong in doing what i do. People say " Books represent Saraswati Devi" and stuff..I say, as long as u read what's in it it's all fine. And that particular friend is not in such a habit nowadays... :(
This is one of a looot of things that one doesn't question. It is fed at a very early stage. It's not that i'd like to preach little children to do whatever they can with books, but people should stop giving the excuse of a God, at least when they grow up.
Something else that irritates me infinitely is all the (bloody) rituals that we have (guess hinduism has a lil more than the rest) . Praying to an idol is probably one of the most useless things on Earth. No, the prayer is not useless.The idol is. He's as sacred as my toothbrush. I see people performing all kinds of silly stuff like washing it with milk and what-not, offering food (c'mon!!).. Now is it not ridiculousness reaching new heights? You are free to butt in to say " Everyone has their own beliefs" . I say " It's not actually what you believe. You've been asked/told to make them your beliefs at a nice impressionable age by the ones around us."
You probably get the feeling "What's this bloke trying to say finally???" Honestly, there are a lot of things that I wanna say but can't effectively pen down; Well, it's atleast a start and though i'm not fully satisfied with my effort, I've made up my mind to hit the "Publish Post" button.
See ya soon.
Cheers!

The author is a student (nene bey) of Aerospace Engineering, IITM. Comments welcome 24/7.





7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmmmm nice view.....anyways everything depends on person to person so dude you have done a good job by not preaching junta everything what you think...
and now regarding your blogging welcome to the blog world.....

D said...

intha penta post neneppuduu choodaledu.. :D

Unknown said...

ravi,

despair not; your blog has more (and better) posts than mine!

sampath,

what does 'everything depends on person to person' mean? this isn't about whether you like potato chips with tomato sauce or chilli sauce.

what do you mean, 'you have done a good job by not preaching junta everything what you think'?

1) how is what ravi has been doing not preaching?
2) is it ok to preach a little of what one thinks?

Sonaris said...

Mon Dieu!! What a philosophical thought.. ;)
very profoundly written!!!
n good, 2 posts in such a small time... better in quality n quantity too.. :D

Anonymous said...

Things said and unsaid.. Thats a great deal of content for a first posts. :-) Tolerance.. We learn it with time.. To put up with or respect other people's individual belief systems, even when we proudly flaunt ours..

Ravi... said...

@ "nrsl" : Let me clarify, I don't have a problem with everyone having a unique belief system; However, it seems you are one more of a group of people i know who prefer to brush the topic under the carpet saying that everyone has his/her own belief systems but refuse to use a tiny bit of common sense. And i do not comprehend what stops them...

Ravi... said...

Also @nrsl: Here's something to ponder about: People who condemn religion are probably wiser than those don't; But it is wiser to promote religion rather than condemn it.
My problem with religion far outweighs my problem with God.